If your driveway is looking tired and worn, you may be wondering if you should resurface or repair your driveway in Nashville, TN. To decide which solution is right for you, let’s look at each of these options in more detail.
- What is it? In driveway resurfacing, a professional paving contractor will pour new asphalt over the existing layer of asphalt on your driveway. This results in a new, smooth finish, without having to dig up the entire driveway.
- Do I need it? The best way to determine if your driveway needs to be resurfaced is to take a close look at its current condition. Does the surface have any cracks wider than a quarter of an inch? Do any of the cracks go deeper than a quarter of an inch? If your driveway has large and/or deep cracks, you probably need to resurface it.
- Can I fix it myself? If your driveway has large cracks, you can try to fill these in, but the repairs typically don’t last. Water will seep into the cracks, which will freeze and expand, causing the cracks to reappear and worsen. Resurfacing is your best option to take care of the issue and create a smooth driveway.
- What is it? When you replace a driveway, your local contractor will remove the existing asphalt, dig up the foundation and create a new foundation and driveway.
- Do I need it? To determine if you need to replace your driveway, start by considering the age of the driveway. Is it more than 20 years old? If so, it’s probably time to replace it. At this point, the foundation has most likely reached the end of its lifespan and needs to be replaced. Other signs that your foundation is worn out include the appearance of many large cracks that are several inches deep and an uneven surface (waves or buckling).
- Can I fix it myself? If your driveway is older and has numerous large cracks, trying to repair it with resurfacing probably won’t save you any money or effort in the long run. If the foundation is bad, resurfacing or other minor repairs will likely have to be repeated each year. For a better long-term solution, simply replace the entire driveway.
Resurface or repair your driveway in Nashville, TN
After you’ve examined these options, consult with your local paving experts to help determine which solution makes the most sense for your driveway. These professionals can evaluate the condition of your pavement and then provide whichever service you deem best.
Get more answers
Do you have additional questions as you decide to resurface or repair your driveway in Nashville, TN? For expert input, contact the experienced team at RoadBuilders. Family owned and operated, we offer comprehensive asphalt paving services, from paving, maintenance and repair, to milling and striping. Our team is happy to answer any questions you have and help you decide which approach is likely to be best for your driveway. Reach out to us today!
Categorised in: Driveway Resurfacing